Healthy Strawberry-Rhubarb Bar
These easy-to-make bars consist of a crispy oatmeal crust, a thick layer of sweet and tangy fruit filling and a crumb topping. They are perfect with morning cup of coffee, or have one for an afternoon snack……and also for dessert (basically you can eat them anytime) Enjoy
1.5 cups whole raw almonds
1.5 cups regular oats (for Gluten-free, use GF oats)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 cup raisins, soaked for at least an hour
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 maple syrup
2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Combine rhubarb, strawberries, cinnamon and lemon juice in saucepan. Cover; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fruit is tender (8 to 12 minutes).
- Combine 1/2 cup maple syrup and cornstarch in small bowl. Stir into fruit mixture. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil (about 1 minute). Continue boiling until thickened (1 minute). Remove from heat. Set aside.
- In a food processor, process the almonds, salt, and oats until a fine crumble forms. Now add in the raisins and process until crumbly again. Melt the coconut oil and add to the mixture and process until sticky.Remove from processor, set aside 3/4 cup of the mixture for later, and press the rest of the mixture very firmly and evenly into a baking pan.
- Scoop out the fruit mixture onto the crust and gently spread with the back of a wet spatula until even.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
- Refrigerate in the fridge until firm for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight. Cut into squares and serve. Store in the fridge or freezer.
Yum yum yum…
Hope you enjoy these bars as much as we did!
Zuz & Nik