LENTIL QUINOA LOAF
Both lentils and quinoa are very versatile ingredients. There are so many ways to use lentils in recipes.
Although quinoa is great as a side dish, try also using it in place of oatmeal as a hot cereal in the morning. I have made recipes before using quinoa and lentils but I haven’t combined the two in the same recipe. It really worked out great! This loaf has a nutty flavor due to both the quinoa and almonds.
So here you have it……
- ¾ cup red lentils
- 2 ½ cups water
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, thinly chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tsp curry powder
- ½ cup almonds, chopped
- 2 chia eggs (mix 1 tablespoon chia with 1/4 cup water = 1egg)
- ¾ cup quick cooking oats
- 1 cup fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the lentils and 2 ½ cups water to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer, covered and cook for about 25 minutes until the lentils are tender.
- Drain any excess water from the lentils.
- In a separate small pan, bring the quinoa and 1 cup water to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 10 minutes until all of the water is absorbed.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat and add the onions, carrot and mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the bell pepper and curry and continue to cook for about 4 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the chia eggs, oatmeal, lentils, quinoa, vegetables, nuts, parsley and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a loaf pan and press down until even.
- Place in a 350 degree F oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes until firm and golden brown.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.