Indian Eggplant Soup – Fast & Easy Dinner
Making a filling, flavorful, and delicious soup doesn’t have to take hours. In 30 minutes or less, you can have a pot of healthy vegan soup ready for dinner. Today’s quick soup recipe doesn’t take long to prepare, but is full of flavor and nutritious ingredients like eggplant and bell pepper. This Indian-inspired soup incorporates curry powder, coconut milk, and fresh cilantro for lush, aromatic flavors.
- 1 large eggplant (about 1½ lb.), coarsely chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- ½ cup chopped shallot
- ½ chopped apple
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs. Dijon-style mustard
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. raw sugar
- 1 12-oz. can tomato juice
- 3 Tbs. chopped cilantro plus extra for garnish, optional
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat broiler. Lightly grease baking sheet with coconut oil (or extra virgin olive oil).
- Place eggplant, bell pepper, onion, apple, vinegar, mustard and salt in large mixing bowl, and toss to combine and coat vegetables well. Place vegetables on large baking sheet.
- Broil vegetables in middle of oven, stirring every 5 minutes, until browned and tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and set aside until ready to use.
- Combine roasted vegetables in food processor or blender, curry powder, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, sugar, tomato juice and 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro. Process, adding water to thin if needed, and working in batches if needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reheat, garnish with cilantro, if desired, and serve hot.
“To feel safe and warm on a cold wet night, all you really need is soup.”