Okay so I will admit, and anyone who knows me will agree… I am a bit of a cookie monster 😛 When it comes to sweets, desserts, what have you – besides some good homemade banana ice cream, cookies are my go to!
However I have always kind of looked at food and asked myself “what does it do for me?” as in “is it nourishing, in some sort of way?” So that makes it a little harder to give in to those weak moments and grab something that is unhealthy, plus there is usually no guilt if your body can benefit from it somehow. That is only if you do not choose to over-indulge!
So with that said like 10 years ago I started to make my own healthy cookies, snacks etc. so I could still enjoy something sweet and reep the benefits of it as well.
Recently I decided to make some protein packed cookies, to help fuel me on those long days of training – these are also easy to pack for road trips, hikes, or just curled up with a good rom-com. They are loaded with protein, from the plantains, vega powder, nuts, seeds and hemp hearts!
I have been using plantains more often, because they are lower in sugar than normal bananas, they also contain more vitamin A, B-6, C and potassium. Not to mention they are easy to digest and soothe the stomach. This soothing ability may alleviate ulcer pains. So why not love them! Okay enough already… Here is the recipe:
Plantain Protein Packed Cookies
- 1 very ripe plantain
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 1 scoop vega clean protein I used chocolate
- 2 tbsp cocoa nibs optional
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts optional
- optional spices to taste: cinnamon ginger, cardamon
- Preheat oven to 325*F
- In food processor blend the plantain until smooth consistency. Add in the pumpkin seeds and cashews and blend until almost smooth okay to have a few chunks 😝. Scoop out into bowl and hand mix in a scoop of plant based protein powder and the cocoa nibs and hemp hearts (or any other add-ins you desire) mix until workable dough texture is formed.
- Option to add some a spices like cinnamon, ginger or cardamom.
- Roll into about 1" balls and place on parchment lined cookie sheet - flatten with a fork.
- Bake 12-15 mins until bottom is golden brown.
Recipe NotesVegan, Gluten free, grain free