I am a big fan of oatmeal. I can eat it anytime – breakfast to get me going, in the afternoon to refuel after a tough workout and even as a comforting dinner! One of my nutritional rules I follow is to sneak a serving (or two) of veggies into each of my meals. So to satisfy both my needs I came up with this veggie packed slow cooker oatmeal recipe.
Morning Glory Oatmeal – takes only 10 minutes to prepare, cooks overnight in your slow cooker and the best part …it’s packed with zucchini and carrots in addition to the classic raisins, walnuts, and cinnamon. I hope you enjoy it 🙂
Slow Cooker Morning Glory Oatmeal
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup no sugar added dairy free milk I used light coconut milk
- 1 cup large oats
- 2 large grated carrots or 4 smaller ones
- 1 small grated zucchini
- ½ cup raisins rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger or ¼ teaspoon ground
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds
- 1½ tablespoon grated orange zest about 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 or more tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- ¼ cup of either hemp hearts pumpkin seed, chopped walnuts or pecans (optional, for topping)
- In a large slow cooker, combine all ingredients except the last two (sweetener and toppings)
- Set on "low" and cook overnight for 6-8 hours.
- Serve with drizzle of maple syrup or honey and hemp hearts, seeds or toasted nuts if desired.