In need of a good summer meal recipe? Don’t worry – we’ve got it covered! If you are anything like us, you probably don’t want to be spending hours in the kitchen during these summer months. Don’t make me wrong, I love cooking however when the good weather starts here in Vancouver, all I want to do is spend as much time outdoors as possible.
During the next three months the idea is share the quickest and easiest recipes with you – but they have to be nutritious never lack in the flavor department!
For this Tahini Kale Protein Bowl, we’re using quinoa, kale, broccoli, crumbled tempeh, hemp seeds and a tahini ginger sauce. All delicious things in one big protein-packed bowl ready to serve in 20 min!
Tahini Kale Protein Bowl
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil/extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 of a red onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 cups kale de-stemmed + torn
- 2 cups broccoli florets about 1 small head
- 4 ounces of tempeh chopped/crumbled
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- Tahini Ginger Sauce
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos or tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 teaspoon fresh, grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2/3 - 3/4 cup water
- Combine 1 cup quinoa with 2 cups water in a medium-sized pot.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for about 15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil on medium-high heat. Add the red onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic, kale, broccoli and tempeh.
- Sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Once quinoa is finished cooking, scoop it into 2-3 bowls and top with the vegetable mixture.
- Sprinkle with raw hemp seeds.
- Generously drizzle tahini sauce on top
- Blend all ingredients together in a blender or food processor till smooth. Start with 2/3 cup water and add more as needed (dressing will thicken in the fridge).
- Makes 1 1/2 cups.
Recipe NotesAll bowl components can be made up to 3 days in advance and kept refrigerated, making this perfect for take-to-work lunches, easy entertaining, and quick dinners.
Dressing can be made up to 3 days in advance and kept in a glass jar in the refrigerator. Stir before using.