An article by Zuzana 2 Comments
Did you know that you can easily make your own scrumptious almond butter ? And without paying the high prices at your local grocery store?
Yes it’s true
This chocolate cinnamon kind is one of my favorite healthy versions…….
Here is what you will need to make almond butter:
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8th-1/4 tsp salt, to taste
Step 1: Toast the Almonds
- Toasting the almonds brings out their flavor. It is not absolutely necessary to toast the almonds, but toasting will enhance the flavor of your almond butter.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Spread the almonds evenly on a baking sheet.
- Toast the almonds in the oven for about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the almonds from the oven when they start to change color.
- Allow the almonds to cool to the touch.
Step 2: Grind the Almonds
- Start your food processor on high speed and slowly add the almonds through the food processor shoot. At first, the mix will be dry and dusty.
- Continue processing the almonds until the oils release from the nuts and the almond butter becomes smooth and creamy. It can take up to 10 minutes for the oils to release.
- You will know the oils are beginning to release when the mixture starts to change from a dry, crumbly mixture to a smoother, creamier mixture.
- Use a spatula to scrape clumps off the sides of the food processor as necessary.
- Add melted coconut oil, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt, process until well mixed.
- Scrape the almond butter out of the food processor with a spatula.
- Store almond butter in an airtight container in the refrigerator.