When the garden gives you apples…you get your slowcooker out and make an apple butter 🙂
This delicious butter is nicely spiced with fresh ginger and slowly cooked for several hours until the apples just start to caramelize.
This absolutely natural, no sugar added spread can be used in so many different ways –
- on pancakes
- in overnight oats
- topped on oatmeal
- on your sprouted grain toast instead of jelly
- frozen in a ice-cube tray for a use in smoothies (spiced apple pie smoothie anyone?)
- as a dip for sweet potatoes fries
- or you can just eat it out of the jar with a spoon 😉
Delicious Apple Butter -no sugar added
- 10-15 organic small apples cored, pealed, sliced
- Zest out of 1/2 organic lemon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
Place all ingredients in a slow cooker and heat on Low for 8 hours.
Using a handheld immersion blender (or blender if you don't have one) , gently puree the apples until you reach desired apple butter consistency.
Put lid back on slightly ajar and let cook for the remaining 2 hours.
Let cool, and store in jars in the fridge.
Don't have a slowcooker? No worries, cook your apples on the stove. You’ll just have to watch and stir often. On the stove it won’t take nearly as long if you are attentive to it!