Chinese food is one of the great comfort foods,however it could be a caloric bomb waiting to destroy your physique!!! Today we are sharing a healthy spin on the typical buffet style fried green beans.
You can enjoy this delicious side dish without all the added sodium and oils. Add a cup of chickpeas and you have a healthy and hearty meal that will leave you feeling good.
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or adjust to taste)
- 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons reduce sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- black pepper
- salt (optional)
- arrowroot or tapioca flour (mixed with cold water to thicken sauce)
- sliced almonds or sesame seeds
- Cook the green beans in a pot of boiling salted water until JUST crisp-tender (about 3 minutes) plunge into an ice water bath to cool completely.
- Drain well and pat the beans dry using paper towels.
- Heat sesame oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat; add in garlic and chili flakes (if using) stir-fry 1 minute.
- Add in beans and stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add in soy sauce, rice vinegar, maple syrup and black pepper; cook until the sauce reduces slightly and coats the beans (about 1-1/2-2 minutes longer).
- If you want a thick sauce mix a small amount of tapioca
or arrowroot with a small amount of cold water and add in towards the end.
- Add in the almonds or sesame seeds; toss to coat and transfer to a bowl.
- Serve immediately