Warm up on a cool day with this sweet potato cauliflower vegan soup…
Who doesn’t love some comfort food once and a while? This savory, creamy, and flavorful soup totally hits the spot. And, for you Indian food lovers out there, we’ve got you covered! Mmm. Easy and under 30 minutes, this recipe is the perfect compliment to any weeknight meal.
- 1 head cauliflower, washed, cored, and separated into florets
- 1 big onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, roughly chopped (about an inch-long piece, peeled)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped (more if you really like garlic)
- 2 – 3 teaspoons powdered cumin
- 2 – 3 teaspoons powdered coriander
- ½ cup cilantro, cleaned and stemmed
- 1 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 large or 3 small sweet potatoes
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 5 cups water, or vegetable stock
- Wash uncooked cauliflower, remove any leaves, and cut in half through the axis (or poles). Remove the woody core. Cut into florets.
- Peel and dice onions.
- Cut a piece of fresh ginger about an inch long, peel, and chop roughly
- Peel garlic and roughly chop.
- Wash and stem cilantro.
- Peel and dice potatoes into pieces of ½ inch or less
- Add coconut oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they are soft and translucent, about five minutes. Add coriander, cumin,garlic and ginger, stir gently for just about 30 seconds.
- Now add cauliflower,potatoes, salt and pepper cook another 5 min. (add bit of water if needed)
- Add the cayenne and turmeric, water or vegetable stock.
- Bring to a simmer, and simmer for about 30 minutes
- Place the soup into a blender and process until smooth. You may have to do a few batches to fit it all
- After it’s smooth, place it all back in the pot and simmer for a few more minutes
- Serve. An optional cilantro garnish is a nice finishing touch.
- If you want to make this a main-dish soup, I would suggest adding some protein. For the potatoes, you could substitute two 16-ounce cans of chickpeas or white kidney beans.